Friday 28 September 2012

Hit Girl Chloe Grace Mortez on Lionsgate's Kick-Ass (Interview with Suite101)


S101: How was the training?

CGM: "It was really fun, I trained here at the Toronto Circus School up at Downsview. The place was really awesome: it was huge, like an airplane hangar."

S101: What was involved?

CGM: "I did martial arts, gymnastics, ballet, circus training, tumbling . . . a bunch of different stuff."

S101: How much of the stunts did you perform?

CGM: "All of it was me, except running up the wall, slamming on the table, stuff like that. Just a little too dangerous! One of my stunt doubles was supposed to run up this bookcase, and he fell, smacked his head and lost his memory for like a week. It was so scary, but he's fine now."

S101: Tell us about your character. How did you get into the character of Hit Girl?

CGM: "My brother Trevor is my acting coach, and we approach it as if we're painting a canvas: so I learn the lines and I give my take on it. Then Trevor goes over it and paints it in, and he gives it the details. that's how we do it, and hopefully you guys like it."

S101: You're probably aware there's already controversy with the character-

CGM: "There's controversy everywhere!"

S101: Do you feel it gets in the way of getting the message out? Because there's a really touching father-daughter story here.

CGM: "There is, you know? The father really loves Mindy and I think that's why he taught her this stuff so that, if anyone came for her, she would know how to protect herself. She saw what her father was doing and she wanted to do the same thing, to follow in her father's footsteps. She's naive and she really loves her dad."

S101: What was it like working with Nicolas Cage?

CGM: "He's amazing. He's a really sweet guy and such an awesome, awesome actor. He's like a 2nd dad to me: he and my dad had lunch together and all they talked about was plastic surgery (rolls her eyes). Because my dad's a plastic surgeon."

S101: How did your parents react to the script?

CGM: "My mom read the script before I did, and my brother read it. Everyone knew what the role was: everything that was in the movie was in the script. I really wanted to do the movie, and my mom and my brother both thought it was an amazing role and we put our heart and soul into it."

S101: In The Amityville Horror remake you played more of a victim type whereas in Kick-Ass you're a superhero. Which role do you prefer?

CGM: "I definitely don't like being the damsel in distress! (everyone laughs) I'd rather be the one who takes charge and pushes for girl empowerment."

S101: What films did you watch to get you in the right headspace for this movie?

CGM: "I was allowed to watch Kill Bill because obviously it's very fake. When people die in those films, the blood squirts and then it stops squirting, and then squirts again! I know the difference between reality and fantasy, and that's why they let me watch it, to see Uma Thurman. I watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith for Angelina Jolie's performance, and I watched Interview With the Vampire for Kirsten Dunst. I really researched the role!"

S101: What was the hardest thing about doing Kick-Ass, and what was the most fun?

CGM: "The hardest thing was the action, but it was really fun though. It was both the hardest and the funnest – is that right?"

S101: Roll with it.

CGM: "(laughs) I am 13! (swings arm for emphasis; everybody laughs) It was so exhilarating yet so hard to stay in character: go left, go right, jump! Fall right, and don't fall on your face!"

S101: Is there anything on the stunt side that you wish you could have done?

CGM: "Fly in the jet pack! (laughs, then pauses). If there ever was a jet pack but yeah . . . hey, look! Cookies!"

Credit to Suite101 and Dominic von Riedemann for this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment